Saturday, June 9, 2012

Nursing Nighty

 My Mother-in-law got me this silky comfortable nighty in hopes I could add some slits for nursing. I documented the process if anyone would like to do the same.

First 2 are the night gown before anything has been done.


 I un-stitched the front neckline from sleeve to sleeve. I then pinned the middle of the un-picked fabric strip to the middle of the neckline. I put it on and made a little slit where the opening should be.
 Instead of just cutting down a big slit, I tried to see how the fabric would naturally fold.


And cut on the natural fold.

I've cut slits in both sides now, and have folded over the fabric to make a nice edge. The middle neckline will be sewn with OUT any gathering.

 The left over side coming from the sleeve will just overlap the middle section for closure, then it will be gathered. If it's pulled tight it doesn't open very effectively.

 All done, and at the bottom of the slit it's slightly folded over and just stitched shut.
Peek-a-Boob  ! hahaha (yes, I really laughed as I wrote that)
My opening isn't real big, so hopefully I don't grow a ton after delivery. If I do, just un-stitch and make the slit a little longer. Not too hard. This should be very comfy and handy to have!

 If any of you have made something like this and have better tips, let me know!

3 comments:

grandma myrt said...

You are a pretty smart chick. I could have never figured that out.

Rochelle said...

Awesome honey!!!

sean & shirley said...

Clever!! You still crack me up!!